There is no sweeter way to define fall that with these Vegan Chai Cupcakes with Maple Cream Cheese Icing. Autumn never tasted so good! Super cinnamony, vanilla chai spiced cupcakes made with delicious maple syrup and cozy fall spices. Each cake is topped cheekily with a creamy, delicately sweet maple syrup frosting, and finished off with a sprinkle of cinnamon. Who couldn’t fall in love with these little cakes? And the good news… they’re 100% vegan! You simply cannot beat these warming afternoon treats.
For the vegan chai cupcakes
- 85g vegan cooking butter
- 75g soft light brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 flax egg*
- 90ml maple syrup
- 190g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- pinch of salt
- 60ml unsweetened plant milk
*1 flax egg = 1 tbsp milled flax seeds + 3 tbsp warm water, combine and leave to sit for 10 minutes.
For the maple cream cheese icing
- 100g vegan cream cheese
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- ground cinnamon, for dusting
To make the vegan chai cupcakes
- Preheat your oven to 180˚C (350˚F) and line a muffin tin with muffin cases.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the vegan butter and sugar together until smooth and creamy. Add in the vanilla and whisk to combine.
- Add in the flax egg and the maple syrup, whisking until everything is well combined (don’t worry if the mixture splits).
- Add in the flour, baking powder, spices, and salt to the bowl and stir using a wooden spoon until everything is thoroughly combined and the batter is smooth (be careful not to over-mix).
- Gradually add in the plant milk and stir in well to combine. The cake batter should be smooth and glossy.
- Spoon the cake batter into the muffin cases two thirds (2/3rds) of the way full, making sure the batter is evenly distributed between the muffin cases. Place the muffin tin in the centre of the oven and bake for 20-30 minutes, until the cupcakes are cooked (a skewer inserted into the centre of the cupcakes should come out clean and the cupcakes should be golden-brown on the top).
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven and place them on a cooling rack. Leave the cakes to cool completely.
To make the maple cream cheese icing
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the vegan cream cheese, maple syrup, and vanilla extract together until smooth and well combined. Place the frosting in the fridge until the cakes have cooled completely.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled, carefully top each one with a spoonful of the frosting until the top of the cupcakes is completely covered.
- Dust each cupcake with some ground cinnamon and enjoy!
I love serving these cupcakes with a hot mug of chai latte, snuggled up after a good long walk in the cold autumn air. Keep these cupcakes stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
If you make these Vegan Chai Cupcakes with Maple Cream Cheese Icing make sure you leave a like and a comment down below! I absolutely love hearing from you guys and you can be sure that I will try my best to get back to you soon! And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @amongsttheflour I love seeing the photos of recipes you’ve all made! Have a beautiful autumn and a safe and warm November! I look forward to hearing from you soon!