Chili is definitely one of my all time favourite dinners. There’s something about a bowl full of warm and spicy chili that just comforts me entirely. Since going vegan, finding a GOOD chili recipe has been difficult but I finally have the answer! This Soulful Three Bean Chili is hearty, warming, soulful, and everything you could ask for in a chili. Even my bean-hating sister loves this! Full of veggies, beans, and spices, this chili is perfect for any night of the week, and it’s super easy to make! Serve with a slice of Vegan Cornbread Loaf and you’re set. Let’s dig in!
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large white onion, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bell pepper, minced
- 3 x 400g tins of different beans in water**
- 1 x 400g tin tomatoes
- 3 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp rich dark soy sauce
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 2 tbsp paprika
- ½ – 1 tsp chilli powder
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
*Pictured: kidney beans, borlotti beans, butter beans
- In a large cooking pot, heat the olive oil over a medium-high heat. Add in the onion and sauté for 5-10 minutes until soft and golden brown. Add in the garlic and sauté for another 2 minutes. Add in the pepper, stir everything together, cover and leave to cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Drain and rinse the beans and add them to the pot along with the tinned tomatoes. Stir everything together and leave to cook for 5 minutes.
- Add in the tomato puree, soy sauce, vinegar, bay leaves, stock cube, and spices. Stir until combined and leave to simmer on a medium-low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season to taste.
- Once the flavours have matured to your liking, serve into bowls with a slice of Vegan Cornbread Loaf, and a dab of vegan yoghurt. Enjoy!
Once completely cooled, this chili can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge and consumed within 3 days.
If you make this Soulful Vegan Three Bean Chili, make sure you leave a like and a comment down below! I absolutely love hearing from you guys and you can be sure that I will try my best to get back to you soon! And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @amongsttheflour I love seeing the photos of recipes you’ve all made! Have a beautiful week, happy February, and I wish you a warm and safe rest of the winter! I look forward to hearing from you soon!