Lately, I have been thoroughly enjoying making all different types of bread to go with my stews and pasta dishes. This vegan cornbread is a delicious and classic pairing for warm and hearty chili! I had cornbread for the first time a few years ago on a trip to Canada and instantly I was hooked! The salty fluffy taste of cornbread with soulful dishes is now all I crave over the colder months. This recipe for cornbread loaf is super simple and so yummy. Pair with our Soulful Vegan Three Bean Chili for dinner tonight and you’re in for a treat! Let’s get into it!
- serves: 12
- preparation time: 10 minutes
- cook time: 40 minutes
- total time: 50 minutes
- 120g cornmeal
- 155g wholewheat plain flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp milled flax seeds
- ¼ tsp fine sea salt
- 125ml extra virgin olive oil
- 125ml unsweetened plant milk
- 80ml warm water
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Preheat your oven to 190˚C (375˚F) and line a 1 lb loaf tin with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl add the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, flax seeds, and salt. Mix everything together until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the oil, plant milk, water, and vinegar until everything is well combined (don’t worry if the oil separates again).
- Add the wet ingredients to the bowl of dry ingredients and stir everything together until combined (be careful not to over-stir as all the air will be knocked out).
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf tin and bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes until cooked through and golden brown on the top. Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
Slice and serve with our Soulful Vegan Three Bean Chili. Enjoy! Once completely cool, this cornbread can be kept in an airtight container in a cool dry place. Use within 2-3 days.
If you make this Vegan Cornbread Loaf, make sure you leave a like and a comment down below! I absolutely love hearing from you guys and you can be sure that I will try my best to get back to you soon! And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @amongsttheflour I love seeing the photos of recipes you’ve all made! Have a beautiful week, happy February, and I wish you a warm and safe rest of the winter! I look forward to hearing from you soon!