Looking for something to add a little extra crunch to your pasta dishes? These Vegan Carrot Crunch Curls are exactly what you’re looking for! I’ve been obsessed with these beautiful little dish toppers ever since I first made them! Marinaded in a smoky sauce, then baked to crispy perfection, you can’t go wrong with these carrot crunchies.
I add these Vegan Carrot Crunch Curls to most of my pasta dishes, and they’re a great addition to a sandwich or toasty. The key to creating these crispy babes is to bake them on a LOW oven temperature for an extended period of time. This way, you’ll end up with super crunchy curls rather than some burnt and floppy ones.
I also always make sure to use my FAVOURITE smoky marinade. I use this marinade mix for carrot curls, tofu ‘bacon’, or for caramelised onions (hear me out, this is a DELICIOUS combo). You want to make sure that your carrots are cut super thinly. For this I use a peeler, but you could also use a mandolin or a wide mouth grater or just a knife if you have really good knife skills.
I LOVE using walnut oil for this recipe – it adds a really nutty and earthy flavour whilst also packing in some extra omegas (always a good thing). I also make sure to use a really rich and dark soy sauce, the kind that stains your fingers, because it adds so much umami to the mix. As always, to achieve a good smoky flavour I use smoked paprika rather than liquid smoke (or other). I find you get a far nicer flavour whilst still achieving smokiness.
Marinade for a good long time, then space flat on a lined baking tray and leave to bake at a low temperature for a good 30 minutes or so (this may vary a lot depending on your oven). Once baked, leave to cool completely on the baking sheet so that they crisp up nicely. Sprinkle onto pastas, add to your sammies, you name it! You’re in for a treat.
Finally, if you make these Vegan Smoky Carrot Crunch Curls, make sure you leave a like and a comment down below! I absolutely love hearing from you guys, and you can be sure that I’ll try my best to get back to you soon! And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @amongsttheflour I love seeing the photos of recipes you’ve all made!
Have a beautiful week, happy April, and I wish you a safe and warm Spring! I look forward to hearing from your soon!
Vegan Smoky Carrot Crunch Curls
- 1 large organic carrot
- 2 tsp walnut oil
- 2 tsp rich dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp real maple syrup
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- black pepper, to taste
- Peel the carrot into thin strips until all the carrot has been used up.
- In a small bowl, combine the seasonings, mixing until everything is well combined.
- Add the carrot strips to the bowl and massage until the carrots are completely covered in the sauce. Cover and leave in the fridge to marinate for 1+ hour.
- After 1 hour preheat your oven to 140˚C and line a baking tray with a reusable silicone sheet. Evenly place the carrot strips over the tray and bake for 20-30 minutes until crisp and curly.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool and crispen up even more. Serve as a snack or on the top of our Ultra-Creamy Cauliflower Alfredo Pasta. Enjoy!