Looking for a healthier version of your Friday night noodles? These Super Easy Sesame Leek Noodles are the answer to all your problems (AND THEY’RE VEGAN!). Who doesn’t love a nice big plate of noodles at the end of the week? Think earthy sesame, rich soy, and all the caramelised goodness of leeks (topped of with some veggies for good measure). This Friday Night Sesame Leek Noodle Stir Fry is super easy to make and tastes absolutely… I don’t even have the words! A little mixture of spring veggies and warmth to comfort you as we enter the weekend. I know I’m a little late on the leek season, but I have been obsessed with them lately and simply had to share this recipe with you.
Making the super yummy sesame sauce. I love using sesame oil in this recipe to really accentuate that sweet and nutty flavour. Use the darkest, richest soy sauce you can find and don’t be afraid to add more than the recipe says. Although the ingredient list calls for rice vinegar, I actually used some homemade fire cider vinegar to add an extra punch of garlic and a hint of spice (it was delicious!). And of course add as much spice as you want.
As always, we’re going to caramelise our onions (or in this case the lovely vegetable that is leeks) until they’re nice and soft and golden. Try to use as much of the leek as possible, including the green leaves (if there’s a little dirt then just wash it off). THE LESS FOOD WASTE THE BETTER! Thinly slice the leeks to create a noodle-like consistency. I also thinly sliced the carrots in this recipe to make sure they cooked as quickly as possible.
Once all the veggies are nicely fried off and soft and golden, add in plenty of noodles (cooked according to packet instructions or straight to the pan if they’re quick-cook) and plenty of sauce. Toss everything together until your noodles and veggies are covered in sauce and serve straight away with a sprinkle more sesame seeds and some chives. The perfect, quick and easy yet divine Friday night noodles.
These Vegan Friday Night Sesame Leek Noodles also go really well when eaten with my Vegan Kung Pao Tempeh recipe – a little spice, a lot of garlic, and a whole load of good food (and it’s alllllll plant based).
If you make these Friday Night Sesame Leek Noodles make sure you leave a like and a comment down below! I absolutely love hearing from you guys, and you can be sure that I’ll try my best to get back to you soon! And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @amongsttheflour I love seeing the photos of recipes you’ve all made!
Have a beautiful weekend, happy May, and I wish you a safe and warm Spring! I look forward to hearing from your soon!
friday night sesame leek noodle stir fry
FOR THE SAUCE
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 3 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp sriracha OR 1 tsp chilli flakes (add more or less if desired)
FOR THE STIR FRY
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 large leek, thinly sliced
- 1 small carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1-2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 servings noodles of choice
- more sesame seeds and minced chives or scallions, to serve
- serves: 2
- prep time: 10 minutes
- cook time: 15 minutes
- To make the sauce, add all of the sauce ingredients to a bowl and stir together until combined. Set aside for later.
- In a large frying pan or wok, heat the sesame oil over a medium heat. Add in the leeks and fry for 5 minutes until soft.
- Add in the garlic and carrots along with a splash of water to deglaze the pan. Fry for 10-15 minutes until the veggies are soft and golden.
- Whilst the veggies are frying, cook the noodles according to the packet instructions. Drain the noodles and add them to the pan of veggies along with the sauce and sesame seeds.
- Toss everything together until the veggies are evenly distributed and the sauce is covering everything.
- Serve straight away into bowls and top with a sprinkle of sesame seeds. Enjoy!