The beauty of eating plant based is that you can be sure your chickpeas are genuinely ‘dolphin safe’. This is THE CREAMIEST Chickpea Salad and it is perfect for filling your sandwiches, dipping crackers into, or just eating with a spoon. Full of fresh spring flavours, you can’t really go wrong with this recipe. Chock full of protein and fibre and FLAVOUR, this salad has definitely been my go-to recently, and I’m super excited to share it with you.
Spring is in full swing here – our chives are growing fresh (perfect for making Sourdough Chive Scones), our onion starts have arrived and are ready to be planted, and the first of the radishes are ready for harvesting. It got me feeling inspired, and hungry. In this recipe, we’ve not only got an abundance of chickpeas, but also a wide range of veggies – onions, chives, radish, and celery. All the flavours you missed over the winter. Now, this may be controversial, but I’ve also added… pickles!
I know it sounds a little strange, but the crunch and tang of a good pickled gherkin really makes this dish. You’re gonna have to trust me on this. In this recipe, I’m using a plant based mayonnaise which really provides me with that super creamy, luscious texture that I miss oh so much from my sandwiches sometimes. The trick to making this chickpea salad extra thick is to partially mash the chickpeas. The soft fibres of the chickpeas mix with the sauces and thicken the whole thing really nicely. Drooling yet? Let’s dive in!
MORE SPRING RECIPES:
- Sourdough Chive Scones
- Crispy Baked Cauliflower Nuggets
- Fruity Breakfast Granola Cookies
- Cheesy Mushroom & Chive Tofu Scramble
- Healthy(ish) Lemon Blueberry Sheet Cake
- Snow-in-Spring Carrot & Butternut Soup
- Creamy Cauliflower Soup & Crispy Garlic Croutons
the creamiest chickpea salad
- 1x 400g can of chickpeas
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise of choice
- 1 tbsp tahini or salad cream
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp fresh chives
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Choice of the following (minced):
- ¼ onion (red or white)
- 1-2 radishes
- 1 stalk celery
- 1-2 pickles
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Add roughly 2/3 (two thirds) of the chickpeas to a blender or food process and blend until semi-smooth (a few chunks is good).
- Add both the blended and unblended chickpeas to a large bowl and mix together.
- Add in the mayonnaise, tahini/salad cream, vinegar, chives, and chosen vegetables. Mix everything together until thoroughly combined.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to your favourite dish and serve. Enjoy!
- In a sandwich instead of tuna or chicken, alongside salad leaves and sliced tomatoes.
- Accompanying a nice big bowl of salad.
- In a toastie, melted with dairy-free cheese in between buttered bread until hot through, golden, and crispy.
- In the centre of the table as a buffet salad or side dish.
This chickpea salad can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
I hope you love my Creamy Chickpea Salad as much as I do. If you make this recipe, make sure you leave a like and a comment down below! I absolutely love hearing from you guys and you can be sure that I will try my best to get back to you soon! And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @amongsttheflour I love seeing the photos of recipes you’ve all made! Happy Spring and I wish you all a beautiful day!